Automated Guided Vehicle (AGV)
Dematic: We Optimise Your Supply Chain
Lower cost, greater efficiency with Dematic mobile automation.
Dematic's Automated Guided Vehicle (AGV) are autonomous vehicles designed to move and transport materials in production, warehouse, and distribution centres without manual intervention or permanent conveying systems.
Through AGVs, automated transport and storage has become a realistic solution to achieve greater efficiency and versatility.
Dematic AGV systems have a wide variety of functions, equally adept in production facilities, warehouses, and distribution centers.
These AGV systems ensure safe and secure means to enhance the process efficiency and improve business profitability with minimal human interference.
DEMATIC AGVs FEATURE IMPRESSIVE AUTOMATED FUNCTIONS
- Lift, rotate, and shift goods
- Fetch and carry loads to and from racking
- Store and retrieve in block-stacks or deep-stack lanes
- Transport product over long distances
- Deliver and collect at conveyors or process machines
DEMATIC AGVs ADVANTAGES AND IDEAL CONDITIONS
Dematic AGVs offer a wide range of benefits
- Reduced operating costs and higher efficiency
- Reduced manpower No product damage
- Increased safety
- Improved product traceability
- Easy and fast installation
- Better use of space
- Low maintenance
Dematic AGVs work as the best solution for the following conditions
- Repetitive transports
- Multi-shift and 24/7 operations
- Short- to mid-distance travel
- High-frequency throughput
- Material flows with a large number of buffer locations
- Complex production flows
- Transport to and from automated warehouses, work-in-process (WIP), and production
Typical AGV Industries
FOOD AND BEVERAGE
AGV systems comply with FDA regulations, food quality standards, and product traceability. They handle any intermediate stage from raw materials receiving, transport to and from AS/RS, supply to processing lines, handling of finished products, and trailer loading.
Examples of AGV applications in food & beverage include:
- Food transport in less operator-friendly environments (cold storage, freezers, drying kilns)
- Transport of fish tubs in salty and oily areas
- Storage of cheese racks and transport to ripening rooms controlled via recipe management software
AGV systems for the tobacco industry link the various stages of tobacco production processes in primary and secondary zones.
Examples of AGV applications in tobacco include:
- Transport of tobacco bins from filling machines in primary
- Storage in bin warehouse
- Transport from warehouse and bin tipping into feeders
- Transport of empty bins
- Transport of finished cigarettes to warehouse or shipping
- Automatic trailer loading & unloading
DISTRIBUTION, TRANSPORT, AND LOGISTICS
AGV systems support the supply chain and just-in-time (JIT) delivery in warehouses, distribution, and logistics centers — in from receiving to store and out for consolidation and shipping.
With conventional storage space and continuous operation carrying such high price tags, a Dematic AGV system can cut costs with autonomous operation in very narrow aisles and at heights up to 36 feet.
PAPER AND PRINT
AGVs support the complete supply chain in paper, printing, printed (laminate) flooring, and packaging processes:
- Horizontal roll storage or vertical deep-stack storage on floor
- Transport to unwrappers, sheet cutters, presses
- Intermediate storage of prepped rolls
- Waste paper handling
- Transport of finished products (newspapers, books, catalogs, tissue paper, vinyl) in shipping areas or to/ from storage
- Automatic trailer loading with finished pallets
PRODUCTION AND ASSEMBLY
AGV systems reliably move products from one production cell to the other in manufacturing and production processes. Some typical applications include:
- Delivery of raw materials
- Transport of semi-finished products to work-in-process buffer storage or the intermediate warehouse
- Supply of other materials like packaging or removal of empty pallets, waste, and refused goods
- Move finished goods from the end of the production line to the finished goods warehouse or shipping area
AGV systems work well in clean environments, based on validated concepts. Typical automated transport applications include:
- Transport of raw materials from receiving to automated warehouse and storage areas
- Transport of products from warehouse to production and work-in-process buffer
- Product delivery from storage to picking zones
- Supply of pharmaceutical packing materials to packing lines
- Transport of finished products from production to warehouse
Credits: Photographs are courtesy of Dematic
EXPLORE MORE ABOUT DEMATIC AUTOMATED GUIDED VEHICLE (AGV) SYSTEMS